News

Eaton Centre

Eaton Centre shootings claim second life

CHRIS DOUCETTE and TOM GODFREY, Toronto Sun

Police officers outside the Eaton Centre on the day of the shooting rampage, June 2, 2012. (QMI AGENCY PHOTO)

Police officers outside the Eaton Centre on the day of the shooting rampage, June 2, 2012. (QMI AGENCY PHOTO)

TORONTO - 

A second life has been claimed by the dramatic shooting rampage at the Eaton Centre just over a week ago.

The dead man, 22, who has not yet been identified due to a court-ordered publication ban, died at 7:04 p.m. on Monday as a result of his injuries, Toronto Police said.

An autopsy has been scheduled for Tuesday. The victim had been in hospital since suffering serious wounds in the June 2 shooting at the Eaton Centre food court.

Ahmed Hassan, 24, was also slain. Five others were also injured by gunfire.

The dead men, along with Christopher Husbands, 23, who’s been charged with the shootings, are all thought to have ties to the Sic Thugs street gang.

It was unclear Monday night whether charges would be upgraded as a result of the most recent death.

Meanwhile, a 13-year-old victim of the shooting has been released from hospital after he was hit in the head by a stray bullet.

Toronto Police say the Port Hope boy was well enough to check out of Sick Kids on Sunday.

“It’s excellent news,” Const. Tony Vella said Monday.

The boy’s name can’t be revealed because a justice of the peace imposed a publication ban last week preventing the naming of all surviving victims of the mall shooting.

But his family has said the youngster was visiting Toronto with his mom and older sister the day of the shooting.

The rampage may have been retaliation for an incident in February in which Husbands was beaten, stabbed and robbed.

Most of the innocent bystanders suffered fairly minor injuries and were treated and released from hospital within 48 hours.

But the 13-year-old boy underwent “complicated” neurosurgery, according to his family. A piece of his skull had to be removed because of swelling to his brain.

“But he’s back home with his family now and he’s doing well,” Vella said Monday.

Meanwhile, police are reminding any shoppers who left belongings behind in the mall to call 416-808-7400 if they wish to retrieve the items.

 

 


Reader's comments »

By adding a comment on the site, you accept our terms and conditions