News

Rafferty Trial

Rafferty appeal deadline passes

Randy Richmond, QMI Agency

LONDON, ONT. - 

Michael Rafferty's deadline to appeal his first-degree murder conviction has come and gone, but that doesn't mean he's given up on the idea.

Convicted May 12 of kidnapping, sexually assaulting and killing eight-year-old Victoria "Tori" Stafford, Rafferty had 30 days to file a notice he wanted to appeal that conviction.

As of Friday, the Ontario Court of Appeal had not received a notice.

But inmates often notify prison officials of their intention to seek appeal of their sentences, court staff said, and there's often a delay of several days before prison officials pass the documents to the court.

Even if Rafferty missed the June 12 deadline by a day or two, the court may consider his notification to prison authorities as an official request to extend the 30-day time period, staff said.

Rafferty's trial lawyer, Dirk Derstine, is not handling any appeal and said last week he had not heard of his former client hiring an appeal lawyer yet.


Reader's comments »

By adding a comment on the site, you accept our terms and conditions