News

'We do not have' gas-plant docs to hand over: Wynne

By Maryam Shah, Toronto Sun

Premier Kathleen Wynne jogs to Liberal youth rally Saturday May 31, 2014. Wynne criticized NDP Leader Andrea Horwath's apparent openness to supporting a minority PC government. (Toronto Sun/Antonella Artuso)

Premier Kathleen Wynne jogs to Liberal youth rally Saturday May 31, 2014. Wynne criticized NDP Leader Andrea Horwath's apparent openness to supporting a minority PC government. (Toronto Sun/Antonella Artuso)

TORONTO - 

Kathleen Wynne wasted no time in addressing the latest media reports on the OPP’s probe into the cancelled gas plants at a campaign stop Friday morning.

According to the Ottawa Citizen, former Liberal premier Dalton McGuinty had been interviewed by Ontario Provincial Police, whose investigators have also served Queen’s Park staff with a court order for key gas plant records.

Wynne addressed the reports head-on - before journalists could begin questioning her - at a press conference in Newmarket on Friday.

“The OPP has a job to do and no one should be surprised that they’re doing it. It’s important work and it should continue and we know it is continuing,” she said.

“It has not affected or involved anyone in my office or in my cabinet or in our caucus and that’s important because we have a job to do.”

Wynne added it’s not in her power to hand over the records.

“The documents are in the hands of the legislative assembly, in the hands of people who work for the legislative assembly and I know that they’re cooperating with the OPP as we are, but we do not have those documents to hand over,” she said.

She stressed that as premier, she “made sure that we had a full committee process” on the matter.

“The OPP is doing its work, and we will continue to co-operate,” Wynne said.

 


Reader's comments »

By adding a comment on the site, you accept our terms and conditions